Monday, January 3, 2011

Design Wall Monday - 01/03/11

  
This is the first Design Wall post of the new year.  I haven't posted in a while because there hasn't been much sewing going on during the holidays.  My goal this year is to finish alot of the UFO's I have in the closet and use up as much stash fabric as I can without purchasing any fabric unless it is to finish something I have already started and there is absolutely nothing I can use from my stash.  My mom is participating in Judy L's UFO challenge and my personal challenge will be to complete my UFO's and get them quilted and mom's quilted each month.  Hopefully mom doesn't do very big quilts for her UFO's since mine are generally twin or bigger.  My first UFO I am working on is Tranquility.  It is a Let Me Surprise You Mystery by Charlotte Angotti.  I had purchased the kit for the class for the center and finished that on Friday.  I didn't have the border fabric and I didn't purchase it for the class but found the same fabric in the quilt on line and was able to order it for $5 a yard (I purchased before the New Year so I didn't break any goals LOL). 

I am still working on this scrap quilt.  I have all the blocks put together now I am putting the 1-1/2 sashing and corner stones together to join the blocks.  I do this as leader and enders project so it goes very slowly but it is getting there.  Maybe I'll be able to finish two tops this month.  Don't think they will both get quilted but you never know.

These froggys are on the quilting machine in back room right now.  Its a quilt my sister who doesn't know how to sew started years ago. I was given her attempt at blocks when I first started quilting to fix.  I put them together in a top.  I had little knowledge at that time of what needed to be done but gave it a good effort and a top was created. I gave the completed top back to my mom to quilt.  When mom gave me the midarm she also passed along this quilt top.  Its far from a perfect top but it will be special because my niece (who is 5) is with me for the holiday school break and she has helped quilt and is keeping a close eye on me to make sure I am doing it right.  So this  quilt will be one she will hopefully cherish with all its imperfections.  I'll post a picture hopefully next week of the finished quilt.

Well after while crocidiles.



5 comments:

  1. How fun to be quilting with your niece. Good luck with your UFOs and the stash busting this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that mystery quilt...I want to call it "sea and sand"...reminds me of a relaxing day at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my year for UFOs too. Hopefully we will both be successful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also hope to finish a few UFOs this year (and not end with more than I started with like last year) so I'm cheering for you in the background. Love your scrappy projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't you nice - to keep up with your mom too! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete